Shortki Community
September 22, 2017, 03:27:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Start Dates in the Past  (Read 18057 times)
jimcoc

View Profile Email
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »

Very nice application. Very powerful and very close to the high level multi-project planning tool I have been wanting for many years.  I have purchased this app with 15-20 active projects and would like to represent them with their actual start and end dates, some of which are in the past.  When I try to roll back to an earlier date, they are grayed out.  Can I set dates in the past?
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:45:04 pm »

First, refer to this guide: Starting dates

Putting it short, if a diagram is in the folder, then for every its object with no predecessors you can set an arbitrary start date.
jimcoc

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:08:50 pm »

In my case that was not true (perhaps a defect). While I can do what you wrote,  I was not able to set a start date for a process earlier than the date I downloaded inShort onto my ipad. This was frustrating for my projects that were already in progress, but not as important moving forward.
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 05:03:09 pm »

First, refer to this guide: Starting dates

Putting it short, if a diagram is in the folder, then for every its object with no predecessors you can set an arbitrary start date.

Can you explain how objects with no input, but with a sub-diagram obtains its start date?

Example:
Folder 1 > "Resource A" (no drill-down diagram) = can set any past date (e.g. Jan 2000). This object now defines the start date for the Folder

Folder 1 > Add object "Resource B" (with drill down 2 levels) = all sub-objects are locked to the date/time that the object was created or the last time scheduling was disabled/enabled (date Y). This seems like a circular depenency, where Resource B is relying on its children to define its start date, but the children are relying upon Resource B to supply the minimum start date. I would expect the Folder's date (or no date) to be propagated to the children of Resource B.

The workaround of completing Resource A so it has an End Date, then linking Resouce A -> Resource B, to apply date Jan 2000 to Resource B should not be necessary. Why not use the Folder's start date or no date for sub-items?

If I remove the link, the dates on Resource B and sub-objects revert back to date Y (when scheduling was enabled), even though the Folder start date is now shown as date Jan 2000.
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 05:18:51 pm »

What would be nice is if there's no constraining input on the diagram's parent object or any of the parents up the chain, there should be no constraint on start date, even where we have sub-diagrams.

Does that make sense?
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »

It may seem convenient, but has a serious ideological flaw. For nested objects, there should be no dependence on the environment that surrounds their parent, i.e. their behaviour should not depend on whether the parent belongs to a folder or not. In general, this principle makes it quite easier to work with diagrams, and I would not want to give it up for such an occasion.
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:26:16 am »

OK, if you feel it makes a user's life easier, then perhaps we need to more clearly describe this logic.

In my experience I am still frustrated by this arbitrary locking of start dates at "Date Drawing Was Created or Scheduling Was Enabled". What is the significance of that date? Why am I not able to define that date?

It seems inconsistent that a Folder should define whether a Start Date can be set sometimes, and other times it is the children that define the start date of the parent. While at the same time it seems that the children inherit the start date because their parent is not a Folder.

Surely this significance that is given to "Date Drawing Was Created" can only frustrate a project manager who wishes to back-date the planning stages of a project?
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »

All discrepancies arise solely from the nature of the inShort folders. A folder contains a closed independent system of diagrams, an object of the folder adjusts its schedule to the needs of the schedule of the embedded diagram and thus has no effect on the embedded diagram. Except for folders, start dates always spread downward while end dates float upward.
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:45 am »

All discrepancies arise solely from the nature of the inShort folders. A folder contains a closed independent system of diagrams, an object of the folder adjusts its schedule to the needs of the schedule of the embedded diagram and thus has no effect on the embedded diagram. Except for folders, start dates always spread downward while end dates float upward.

If start dates spread downward: how does an item on a sub-diagram lock the start date of the parent?
iQuant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »

Folder 1 > Add object "Resource B" (with drill down 2 levels) = all sub-objects are locked to the date/time that the object was created or the last time scheduling was disabled/enabled (date Y). This seems like a circular depenency, where Resource B is relying on its children to define its start date, but the children are relying upon Resource B to supply the minimum start date. I would expect the Folder's date (or no date) to be propagated to the children of Resource B.

Hi there,

was there any solution for this problem already (beside the workaround)? I stuck with the same or similar problem.

Beside other independent processes in the same folder, I have: resource (with start date) -> common process (drill-down) -> resource. The activation of the time scheduling messed up the starting date somehow (from the future some years to the past) after a crash. Then I deleted the first resource, so that I have only: common process (drill-down) -> resource. As I understood here, it is not possible to change the start date of the whole common process, now, but I have to change the start dates of the sub-processes in the drill-down diagram. But I am not able to change these. In edit mode, when I click on the detail card of these initial sub-processes and on their start time then, no date roll shows up to change anything.

Do I have to start from the scratch only because of the crash of the scheduling?
Any help is much appreciated.

By the way, thanks for this very very good app. I am looking forward to times, when I can handle it properly.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:19:13 pm »

Indeed there may be a problem of specifying the start date for a diagram that is embedded in a folder. The easiest way to solve this situation is to assign a predecessor to the diagram, the completion time of which will become the starting time of the diagram.
iQuant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 08:36:44 am »

Hi ShortKi,

yeah, something is definitely messed up since the project scheduling run through.
I used another resource now to set the start date of the very first process. It works well as long as I am confirm the processes manually. But when I start the scheduling again, everything (including the "new" initial resource) shifts in the start date again to the today's date. This happens even when I activate the option "fixed start date" in the initial resource.

The interesting thing is, when I uncheck everything (so that no precess is confirmed now), set the date back in the past again and I copy and paste this event, the pasted event is shown with the wrong start date (today's date) although I set it into the past before the copying process. For me it looks like a sync problem of meta data or maybe of the actual tracking plan dates. (I've done all changes in Planning Mode.) Maybe this hint helps in identifying the problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: