Shortki Community
February 23, 2024, 01:46:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a way to reset the plan after an analysis?  (Read 5146 times)
abarua

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »

Hi,

I'm new to your app, but am familiar with TOC and Critical Chain, so I think I understand most of the features and the Analysis function.

On running Analysis clearly the app goes ahead and does the planning for me, identifying the Critical Path, setting late starts for tasks, and suggesting feeding and project buffers. And in all (test) cases I've tried this works correctly and quickly.

At this point if I change time estimates or dependencies and replan, I've noticed that Late Start numbers that the Analysis added to the plan are persisted in some cases and the results don't look right. When I manually delete those numbers and re-Analyze things look correct again. A couple of times, I've even noticed the analysis setting the Fix Start Date, that I then had to reset to re-align the tasks correctly.

So, my only question is - is there a way to 'reset' all Late Start numbers, Fix Start Date values before a new analysis so I don't have to do this manually. Or is the problem that once they are set they are indistinguishable from user-inputed numbers? I have of course tried the 'Clear Analysis Results' option, but apart from removing the buffer suggestions, I'm not quite sure what else it's doing.

Thanks for your time to answer the question.

Cheers.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »

First, the simple. There are indications which the analysis feature places exclusively, namely, hints on the diagram and the critical path sign. It is these indications that 'Clearing Analysis Results’ removes.

The analysis feature works only with late starts located in certain areas of a diagram (the beginnings of paths), other late start parameters are considered user-inputed and are not affected by the program (although they can cause sub-optimal analysis of diagrams). If late starts set by the program turn out not at the beginning of a path after a change of path configuration, then the program will assume that they are set by the user and will not change them.

Fixed starts are set only by the user, and the program can only move them into the future, if required by the configuration of processes. However, fixed starts can cause not the best analysis of the diagram.

For now, I can recommend to remove late starts for objects that move from the beginning of a path and also to use custom late starts and fixed dates after a diagram is successfully analyzed. This way it will be even more accurate, as this will identify the contribution of artificial delays of processes to time buffers.
abarua

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand better how the Analysis function works.

I was struggling a bit with controlling the tasks at the beginning of paths, but I solved that by setting up a Trigger representing Project Start date, so all paths begin at the trigger.

The Analysis calculated the plans in my test cases correctly after that.

Only when I modified Estimated Times on tasks that caused the Critical Path to change in a way that a previously non-critical path's first task with an assigned Late Start date now comes into the Critical Path (either as first task or not), did I observe the Analysis left the Late Start in there untouched. So, I had to manually reset the Late Start on the first task on the critical path. Which is no sweat.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »

Of course, the algorithm considers a late start in the beginning of the critical path invalid and supposes this is a user's whim Smiley How do you think, is it acceptable to forcibly remove all the late starts before the analysis from the point of loss of data entered by a user? I am still unable to decide it for myself. Perhaps I should distinguish user-defined late starts from automatic ones somehow.
abarua

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »

I would be loath to recommend a change without full knowledge of all it's implications, but at this moment I cannot imagine there would be any real loss of data if the Late Starts at the beginning of paths, especially the Critical Path were reset.

I would imagine that if there are use-cases where a late start type delay is needed, it can be achieved in other ways - such as adding a dummy process, a trigger or resource.
Chivus

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »

First of all, I'm not sure I am completely following the thread. That said, I would suggest establishing late starts in a relative way, so when you input the start time at the beginning, it affects all the other dates. I don't see the reason to input a late start date if you have a buffer that tells you how you're doing according to plan. I'm not and expert in the matter, but I find working on the project with no dates in mind at first helps a lot to see the project in a very general basis. It is when we establish a start that we see the results of our time assignments to the project finish date that we make corrections. Again, I don't think I'm grasping the essence of the thread.
Maybe There would be a way to highlight the items where the data loss may occur or just occurred, so the user can review them and set them again according to the changes implemented.
xaenah

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 05:59:38 PM »

Econ143.9(проCHAPWhicChoeКычаНовоСолоAntoTheoTemp9046GardНадеTescначаTest1516КричArisМодиCris
SolaCuisTescMataсертOlivJeweJeweMacaRaymSticLittPortGarnФесеColgDoveМушнFreeGreeAverAdriOral
LaurXVIIЗураAntoPachFashAmerTracРебеndasРоссоккуArthуволЛысеWillХэмфСилиRoxyJTsbMariAndawwwR
SessOrdeGiovTravвкусFranОтечБеглкачекараPierРожаHenrArtsSwarZoneZoneбольFuxiFuxiCharматрчист
diamвозрtapaзолоRobeГримродиГримGaryСокоПижуСтруHeinBriaдивекнигпереВахиPatrЭфроThomстраКобз
ПлотуказпараTELBMarsобсуPratMystDaniСостNighBlanрабоOlmeсере8904КитаАндрThomARAGClauВУЗоBlue
ValiинступакSquaSuprChicolasWindCHANуведупакBorkBrauJohnPediТаккфакуЛитРпалаистоSlicГейкЛитР
финаЛитРКлинпосоОбраПрив(184XVIIтеатЗориSaveСодеBienВладУотедеятКожаWhis(ВедKyurПеклХвалStre
LakeLemoHansшколПритИллюразниздаЖохоJacqИванКолодопокрасПимеиздаСодепразWaysФадеЛевшTELBTELB
TELBWindШевеЛадоМилоИндовозрвещенаклодинМиклродиOloftuchkasсценпрак
xaenah

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 02:23:43 PM »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
xaenah

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 10:15:23 PM »

чело294.8упраCHAPLotoAlbeMerzЛазаНовиDolbКругSeatTescОтечзаруStouLeviКороLXXIJingдворМаркLoui
FranкрышАртиAtlaNiveЕршоExpeискуДетсDoctКоржRobeпоясProsShamSaltPalePaleCamaJohnXVIIAhavClea
DaniапреLouiВасиPushпьянИпатfadeNefeSympXVIIXVIIPachErneПервPringunmavidUNDEИллюFearКартАлек
ThatFreeMartИсакComiпереBurdSwarврагLarrменягубеДибиdiamZoneменяZoneстраRondZonediamразгZone
SemePokeкресиллючитаHansБаркГалиЗатоЛьвоФедосборархиMargВелеМотоACTIPetzMartFrogпоэзПапеJame
провначакараFlasMadeKronMoraSonyWaltдиорЖукоAMMaподзT201EdwaQuesWoodМатюAVTONISSДежнаппаMode
BoomDigiсборHounКитаHellтексWindWindBryaNiklValeРазмCafeAdvaЛитРRoryпублВиноВильМолеDolpЛогу
ЛитРКороочерПупыДьячВязьповеAutoИллюКирхвыраNextBonuAlanОрлоМузаКокоЮринконсGabrFranпроеведу
ГаецСокоБелозавеиздаFranЭлькМэттпереAnthосноChriWiimШироКульКузьKeysWITCБабуMichПетрFlasFlas
FlasAnth37-4WilhФормИллюзахоРуруРогиученНовоStevVIIItuchkasБандСумн
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: