Shortki Community
September 18, 2020, 04:06:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a manual for using schedule function?  (Read 4359 times)
Biplane

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »

Greetings.  This is a great app!  I've been looking for something as simple as the old MacProject and this comes very close and it's better. 

Question - how do I use the schedule functions.  I can set the start date on the first task but I can't edit any of the others. 

It would be great if there was an estimated time function on each task that could calculate a critical path.

Great work!
Biplane

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »

I just found the directions in the manual but still fuzzy on how the schedular works.  It doesn't look like anything is being posted to iCal.  Did I mention what a great app this is?
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:01:18 PM »

Thank you for the appreciation of the program.

The program has two scheduling modes: actual and planned. For planning purposes, of course, you need planned mode. Switch to it (the upper panel will become rose). Now you can execute all the processes of a diagram and reach the goal, assigning times that you consider the most probable. This is a kind of simulation of achieving your goals. While in the mode of planning, you can specify in the object card whether this object should be put to Calendar. If an object has the planned times (of the beginning and the end) specified, then a Calendar event will be created, and you will be able to edit it right in the object card (this is particularly handy for setting reminders). After you finish planning, return to the actual mode - your goals and processes will again be unfulfilled and you will be able to track their actual implementation and compare it with planned one it the list.

Yes, I plan to add the task execution time to the object parameters, this is merely a part of more complex module, which will be ready later.

The search for the critical path is an important way of analyzing diagrams, but it often misleads about the effectiveness of the overall process. I plan to add the analysis of diagrams in terms of the Theory of Constraints: localization of buffers, determination of the optimal pace at the inputs, calculation of the generation rate at the output and estimation of the average amount of bound resources.
curiousyellow

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »

This is a great app, but the learning curve is steeper than I expected.

The User Guide was a great introduction, but am left confused about many features of the app.

Is there a detailed manual being prepared, in outline form, to further explain the User Guide, which, of course, is in InShort form? Such a manual would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Curiousyellow
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »

Firstly, if you have questions - ask them, this forum was created exactly for that. I'll be pleased to tell about the program and it will help to improve the User Guide.

Secondly, to date, the program is being largely developed, and detailed documentation can now significantly inhibit this process. So for now the program has the dynamic interactive User Guide made by means of the program itself.

When it is clear that the main part of the program is worked out enough and won't be greatly changed, then it will make sense to write a detailed description. It is therefore important for me to know users' opinions, especially not on new functionality, but on what I should change in the existing implementation. Unfortunately, users are not very active and leave quite a bit of feedback (both here and at iTunes), what can be regarded both as a good sign (everything suits) and a bad sign (did not understand).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: