Shortki Community
February 21, 2017, 09:05:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resource Overloading?  (Read 247 times)
sbh8103

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2016, 03:19:37 pm »

I think this app will be extremely useful and I like the workflow. I am using the Mac OS X version. I do have a question about overloading a resource though. If I have a human resource responsible for each task at 100%, when the project timeline (Gantt chart) is generated my resource is often tasked with 400 or even 800% of their time. I am have tried both the "Controlled Summation" and "summation of productivity options". It seemed like the first was supposed to do what I am looking for. Is there currently a way to set a limit on the resource overload? Did I do something incorrectly in building my project flow?

Thank you for the help.

shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 12:48:22 am »

First, I want to note that the problem of resource leveling is quite complicated and has no optimal solution. Either you have to set the priorities of tasks, or to split the schedule of execution of one task into separate parts. Anyway, I have not found a technique that copes well with this problem, so I put down the implementation of the automatic leveling until I look into the theory of this problem.

The Gantt chart clearly shows which tasks the work resource executes simultaneously, thus it makes sense to reduce the load for these tasks, or add additional connections that will make the tasks competing for the resource sequential. Quite often, a resource is assigned to an object with a subdiagram that contains processes running at a time, and it leads directly to the resource overload, one should closely monitor assignments in such cases.

Assignment mode does not affect the loading of a separate resource, it determines how the assignment of one resource affects the loading of the other, so this parameter is poorly suited for load leveling.

Again: load leveling is largely a creative task, which is solved by competent construction of workflow.
sbh8103

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:28:20 pm »

thank you so much for the explanation. I think I understand now that I need to set the task priority by linking them sequentially. Much appreciated!
turboultra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »

I have the same issue. I'm using inShort to map out several small projects I'm working on. I made a separate folder for each project. At the moment I'm not using the scheduling features, but it would be nice to have a high level overview of how much time I'll spend on them.

I need to divide my time between the projects, rather than doing them sequentially, and I'm trying to find the best way to represent that. If I was creating a project plan for some assignment by hand, I'd make a high level guess how long I'd spend on each section, taking into account other commitments, and that would be enough for a small project. For example, if an essay was due in three weeks, I might spend a week on research, a week on drafting etc., remembering that I would not be working on it constantly. Perhaps for my needs making such guesses is the best way to use the application.

Creating dependencies between projects (I would have to use proxies as they are in different folders) feels like it could get messy. It wouldn't represent the fact that I would not spend an entire week drafting the essay without working on any other project.

Alternatively, I could assign a human resource (myself) to each high level element in the diagram, and set the work contribution level to how I wished to divide my time between the projects. (Sometime changing the contribution of a resource affects the expected time; sometime it changes the displayed duration on the Gantt chart - I'm not clear on how this works.)

Maybe it would help to first have a more general discussion on how to manage your time between multiple projects.

shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:04:29 pm »

In your case, you can use the following trick, create two work resources for yourself, and for each of them assign a calendar that does not overlap the other. For example, from morning till 4pm you are doing one project according to one calendar, and according to the other calendar from 4pm you are doing the other project, or move calendars apart by day of week.

When you change the calendar, the application takes into account what time was specified. If initially the natural time in the natural calendar was specified, the application tries to keep the time frame of the period, if working time was specified, the period varies in accordance with the efficiency of the assigned resources, while maintaining a constant amount of work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: