Shortki Community
September 21, 2017, 01:59:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: File management  (Read 16070 times)
marct

View Profile Email
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:28:01 pm »

Sorry for the simplistic question, I can't find the answer in the manual.  ... how do I save/open files.  I have created several diagrams as part of a project and need to save them.  File>save is grayed out.

Help please - where to diagram/project files reside?

Thank you!

MT
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:31:09 pm »

The program stores all the information in the database and stores all the data at once, you do not need to save anything on purpose.
The item on the menu can be sometimes active, if the data have not yet been written to the database, but it happens very rarely only with very large diagrams and lasts a few seconds.

Different projects can be placed in folders of the Desktop diagram, the program does not create any separate files.
If you need to save the diagram data in a file, use the procedure for export to a file of ish format.

The database itself is stored in a designated directory on a disk, generally not visible to normal users.
marct

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:11:07 pm »

Thank you, that helps.

MT
stevew

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:20:29 pm »

The program stores all the information in the database and stores all the data at once, you do not need to save anything on purpose.
The item on the menu can be sometimes active, if the data have not yet been written to the database, but it happens very rarely only with very large diagrams and lasts a few seconds.

Different projects can be placed in folders of the Desktop diagram, the program does not create any separate files.
If you need to save the diagram data in a file, use the procedure for export to a file of ish format.

The database itself is stored in a designated directory on a disk, generally not visible to normal users.

Could you provide the database full directory path?
...if I need to recover files from Time Machine, which directory do I need to look for?

TIA,

stevew
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:08:51 am »

Data of the diagrams is stored in a file with the path like
/Users/{You user}/Library/Containers/com.shortki.inShortMac.inShort/Data/Documents/tooShort.sqlite

Be careful while working in these directories, the system assumes that in a normal situation, the user should not access them.
KirbyKrieger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 04:23:47 pm »

**Added**
I am now fixing this at the OS level, rather than at the application level.
If the fix goes as planned, I won't need a reply.

------------------------------------------—

I have had my first ever Mac out-of-warrantee failure  Sad : my main computer has been shipped to Texas for a new logic board.

I restored the entire system to another computer, and selected to over-write the then-current user with the user on the Time Machine back-up.

In Short (and other programs) open, but in a "new, never-before-opened" state.

In my User Library I have the following folders:
~/Library/Containers/com.shortki.inShortMac
~/Library/Containers/com.shortki.inShortMac.inShortTodayMac

A SQLite DB is found only in the first of those two folders, at:
~/Library/Containers/com.shortki.inShortMac/Data/Documents/tooShort.sqlite

What do I need to do to get inShort to find and use that SQLite DB?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:48:05 pm by KirbyKrieger » Logged
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 01:30:58 pm »

It is not entirely clear situation. In theory, the restoration should have reverted the old data to the right place "quietly" for applications.

It is possible that something is wrong with the user, as the data is stored separately for each user.
When you open inShort, it creates, if necessary, a new database at /Users/{You_user}/Library/Containers/com.shortki.inShortMac.inShort/Data/Documents/tooShort.sqlite
You will need to make sure that the file you found contains the previous data, and then check that it is in the right place.com.shortki.inShortMac.inShortTodayMac is a service directory for the Today widget, no data is stored in it.
KirbyKrieger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »

Afaict, your diagnosis is correct: the User Account was not properly created by Migration Assistant.  (Several programs worked properly; inShort and OmniFocus did not.)

I reset the machine (I think this is what Apple calls wiping out all User Accounts; it is done when, for instance, a machine is prepared for sale or re-sale), and re-ran Migration Assistant.  This time, the User Account was correctly created (afaict): inShort now opens with "my" Desktop.

Is it possible to have the same relationship between ISH files and inShort as exist between almost all other programs and their data files?  I would like to be able to double-click an ISH file in Finder and have inShort launch (if not open) and load that ISH file.  (ISH files currently open in Text Edit.)  As I understand the current architecture:
 - I can have only one instance of inShort running at any time
 - That instance has a "fixed, internally-specified" (quotes = I'm not sure what this is properly called) top-level Diagram (default name is "Desktop", but user can change this).
 - Therefore I cannot use multiple inShort databases; IOW, I am restricted to a single top-level Diagram and must import ISH files into this Diagram in order to use them.

My reason for inquiring about this is simple (and pressing, for me): I have quickly come to rely on inShort as part of my daily workflow, and I would like to have multiple paths of recovery from loss of a computer.  Other databases I use (some quite large) are stored in their own, user-locatable, file.  I can create a database file for inShort by exporting the top-level Diagram, but it is not directly usable.  (Currently, in order to use this Diagram I must import it into  the current top-level Diagram, in which it will show as an inShort Folder:  it will not be a top-level Diagram.)  I would like this file to be portable and easily-used.

While it is safe to say that this may _never_ come up this way again (via a faulty installation of OS X), that the data storage locations used by inShort are non-standard (in my experience) is reason enough to ask "Why?" and to prepare a storage and recovery system that accounts for that difference.  In short:  what is the best way to store, to back up, and to restore, my inShort Diagrams?

Thanks.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 09:49:49 pm »

The problems that you have encountered stem from the fact that now the paradigm of organizing applications data is being replaced in the Mac OS.
The new architecture involves using App Sandbox, a protected data area, which is accessible only for the application and the operating
system, this architecture has several advantages and contributes to writing reliable and secure applications. The downside is that a user
generally must not have control over the process of organizing data, which, however, in most cases is only a plus. It is assumed that the
operating system must provide transparent backup, protection and recovery of sandboxing applications, the very formation of the Sandbox structure is rather troublesome procedure carried out jointly by the application and the operating system.

Thus, backup by means of the application itself becomes superfluous, since either the application is working fine, and then the data is
always current, securely stored, and backup is not necessary, or the application does not work at all, and there is no need to back up data
either.

In today's reality, not all components of the OS can correctly handle new applications, which leads to slips in the process of the correct
recovery of App Sandbox, where there are a number of nuances and peculiarities. However, I see it as a temporary consequence of
adaptation to the new application architecture.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: