Shortki Community
November 20, 2017, 03:22:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to calculate due dates based on later due dates?  (Read 1462 times)
apkawel

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:03 pm »

I am trying to plan out a legal case for a client. Here is my situation:

* trial date is scheduled for, say, October 1;
* certain filings are due 45 days before the trial date; and
* the trial date may (and probably will) change.

Right now I have set the object "Trial" to start on October 1. But is there a way to set up an object with a firm due date of 45 days before the object "Trial", and to change that date automatically if the "Trial" start date changes?

Also:

* +1 for a resource-leveling feature.
*  +1 for a feature to calculate the amount of *available* time/effort that *could* go into particular phases of a project, based on firm due dates.

I hope all of this makes sense—thanks in advance for your response and consideration!
apkawel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »

I guess what I am looking for is *relative* start dates: "n days before {object}'s start date".
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:45:47 pm »

What you described is not as easy as it looks on the words, the issue is much deeper than it seems. Now the program uses a naturally consistent logic where events depend only on events in their past. And you described a mechanism with feedback where events in the future affect events in their past, such logic can easily lead to inconsistencies in the schedule, which should be separately considered with adding to the documentation the course of action as they occur.
For example, what if "filings" had already begun, and the trial was postponed?
Past events are certain, future events are uncertain. When uncertain events depend on certain, this is a normal state of affairs; if the opposite, there arises a pile of paradoxes. At one time, I considered various options of dependencies between processes and decided to restrict myself only to the noncontradictory models so far.

* Resource-leveling is in my plans, as well as the construction of the correct critical chain.
* The last wish is not entirely clear, can you give an example?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: