Shortki Community
March 31, 2017, 12:32:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: User Guide  (Read 9207 times)
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:27:17 pm »

Here is a guide to the inShort program in the form which is convenient
for reading and printing.

inShort User Guide, pdf, 3 Mb
Guide inShort de l'Utilisateur, pdf, 3 Mb

Note that this guide is universal and describes the work of the
application on both Mac OS and iOS.

If you have any suggestions on how to make this guide better and
clearer, state them here or email them to the author, who is always
happy to hear constructive criticism.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:43:25 am by shortki » Logged
Matta

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:52:29 pm »

Hi shortki,

Thank's a lot for the guide ! It is really helpful !
I have just one question regarding the TOC method and the way we apply it with inShort.
If I understand correctly, the method implies first that we divide by 2 the reliable duration of each object on the (critical) path (for a probability of 50%). Then the size of each buffer is calculated on this basis : sum of each reliable (initial) duration of the objects which are on the same path than the buffer, divided by 4. But this calculation is automatic after running the analysis ; so if we fix the duration of each object half than the initial one (to fix for the diagram the expected duration), the buffer size will remain divided by 4 (so 1/8 of the initial duration).
How can we achieve the goal : set the objects to their expected time of execution (divide by 2 the reliable duration) and fix the buffer to 1/4 of the total reliable duration of the critical path ?
I must have missed something ! Can you help me to understand better please ?

Thank you very much !!

Matta
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:58 pm »

It is not so easy as it seems. It is a question of probabilities, which are not divided in this way. If you divide by two the reliable time with a probability of execution of almost 100%, you will not necessarily get the expected time with probability 50%. The point is in the expert estimation of the normal distribution. Let me explain.

The picture shows a graph of the distribution of the duration of a healthy adult human sleep. As can be seen, under optimistic conditions it is enough to sleep 4 hours, under the worst of normal - 11 hours, and most people get enough sleep for 8 hours. Based on these data and the formula, it can be determined that 7 hours and 50 minutes is the expected time of sleep, for which a man will have a good night's rest with a probability of 50%. The buffer time will be estimated at one and a half hours, that is 9 hours 20 minutes will be enough in 90% of cases, what can be considered a reliable estimate.

However, with a lack of data it is permissible to assess the pessimistic time twice as long as the expected, since this estimate is often practical. Hence the buffer time, being half the difference between the pessimistic and the expected time, is assessed half the expected time. You should always remember that such approximations are quite relative, but they can be used in the absence of any other data.

* internaltime2.jpg (52.12 KB, 620x341 - viewed 446 times.)
Matta

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:42:17 am »

Hi Shortki,

Thank you very much for this explanation. I understand where I missed the point. I've just applied the right method and follow your advice and it works better now  Wink !
I'm very happy whith inShort !!
Thank's again for your good work with inShort.

Matta
Harvinder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:08:39 pm »

Smiley
Thanks Mr Shortki...
Thanks a lot for providing with the much awaited "User-Guide"
This will make this Great App perform even more useful.

Regards
Harvinder
camargocr

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:37:03 pm »

Hi,
May I suggest you render the User Guide also in mobi and/or epub format. I use to read manuals on Kindle or iPad and the pdf format doesn't fit well on this kind of devices.
Regards,
Carlos Camargo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: