Shortki Community
November 18, 2017, 07:45:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get started?  (Read 11888 times)
Ziggurat

View Profile Email
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:23:30 am »

I am trying to create a gantt chart and honestly, this is the most confusing thing I have ever done. I'm looking for a way to create the items, give them times, link them, etc. Is there not simple instructions I am missing?

AG

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:42:20 am »

You do not start with a gantt chart; you define a process. A Gantt chart is just a different presentation of the network of processes you create.
Cheers
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:29:20 pm »

Exactly. The cycle of working with the project in the application looks like this so far: building a diagram — running the analysis — Gantt chart — Reports.
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:19:13 pm »

Hmm... someone should make an intro video.
Twhl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:05 am »

What is the easiest way of getting to desktop? I am stuck at tutorial window and every time i press the first button, it cycles in different windows of tutorail. Sombody help?
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:00:29 am »

That's interesting... The first button will go up 1 level at a time, so if you press it 5 times for example you should eventually make it to the desktop, so if repeated presses don't ever get you to the desktop something is wrong.

You could also try going to list view (the 2nd button), then tap [All] the far right of the toolbar, then search (drag the list down to reveal the search box) for something you know is on the desktop (such as "user guide" or "downloads"). Then tap the appropriate search result.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »

Colin gave good advice, thank you, Colin.

It's interesting, because such difficulty occurs for the first time. Let me know whether you succeed in breaking the cycle of diagrams and getting to the expanses of the Desktop.
frogg1739_e

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 05:26:59 pm »

Hit the button with four stacked lines.

After that it will show up on Brief, Diagram or All.
terryh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »

You really need some sort of written guide to this software.  Using the software itself to teach how to use it works well for showing me what the buttons do, but does nothing for explaining what each button means.  For example, it would be very helpful to have a written description of "Drill Down", such as "You would use drill down to do ........"  Define the terms used.

I think it would also be useful (though maybe not possible for this type of software) if the option existed to create the Gantt chart immediately, rather than create the diagrams first.  Those of us who are used to creating Gantt charts directly from raw tasks would find this helpful.
aza

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:12 am »

This is exactly what I think and what I have been looking for when I bought the App. Creating Gantt Charts was the reason why I bought it. I also have difficulties using the tool itself. Very confusing. Why isn't there a button "start new project" and of you go...
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:41:27 am »

This is exactly what I think and what I have been looking for when I bought the App. Creating Gantt Charts was the reason why I bought it. I also have difficulties using the tool itself. Very confusing. Why isn't there a button "start new project" and of you go...

How to create a new diagram/goal plan independent of the tutorial.

• Create a folder on 'Desktop'. You can go to 'Desktop' by pressing the 'Roll Up' button (the leftmost one).
  • Create a drill-down diagram for the folder using the option 'Add new diagram' in the object card. While creating the diagram, choose the option 'Add new diagram' (the top item in the list, it's not a title, it's an option). The list of other processes is there to create a diagram from a template, you don't need them right now.
  • Drill down into the created diagram.
  • Create your process in it.
PPH

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 06:43:45 pm »

What is the progress on the users manual? needed badly!!!
Hajjarmo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 12:30:11 pm »

The idea of the application is great but the problem is in the flow.  It is not intuitive.

Fir example, how can I start a new project? I can't find how I can create a folder at the desktop level.  Then how to access items and assign times and resources. And many other issues.

I suggest the following:
1. Hire few non technical people, not those who programmed the application, and watch how they use it and what problems they face.
2. Create a training video
3. Make the application intuitive. It should be learnt without even reading a manual
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »

I understand what you mean but you are talking about applications of another class. Simplicity and intuitiveness are good for the first acquaintance with an application, but for an experienced user the key factor is efficiency. You can learn to use a bicycle on your own and without reading the handbook but you won't master a car in this way. However, an attempt to make a bicycle with a car power gave birth to a motorcycle, a relatively "dangerous" way to travel. Under the hood of inShort there is a huge potential that cannot be effectively controlled with a "bicycle" interface.

Simply place an object on a diagram, and you have already started a new project. A folder is the same object as other ones, and it can be placed on the Desktop in a general way. The Desktop itself in inShort is just a root diagram, otherwise no different from the other ones. Everything is highly unified. I can make a "Create new project" button, which will put a new folder on the Desktop, but this button is used infrequently, completely duplicates the existing functionality and clutters the interface, since by its sense must be placed in a clearly visible location. This button is only needed for the initial intuition and then will hinder under your fingers.

In inShort, you can set the time of execution for an object from three different aspects. The most intuitive way to understand the interaction of these aspects is working with the Guide rather than studying the interface.

However, I agree that the program lacks a more formal description, I am working on it.
Larryhoughton

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:22 pm »

Hello,
Looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into this app.   I keep seeing the words “Great potential" and "Where's the manual?" in the forum.   Great news that formal documentation is in the works.  In the meantime, maybe a youtube video walking users through the creation of your training project would be useful.  Maybe you could expand on your text comments.   For example, I could use some clarification on the very first training topic.  It says " you learned how to confirm the availability of a resource".   Really? Which resource did I confirm? Does the document have a resource associated with it that I'm not seeing?  Does "confirming" a document automagically confirm a resource?  I don't think a Phd in project management would answer these app questions for me.  Thanks for creating a very interesting tool.   I hope I can get beyond the learning curve before giving up on it for the lack of guidance to expedite the process.   
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:34:10 pm by Larryhoughton » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: