Shortki Community
September 21, 2017, 02:13:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dropbox integration for backup, IOS device transfer and team sharing.  (Read 9222 times)
Ghosty

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:12 pm »

Implement Dropbox integration for backups and/or transfer between iOS devices the same way ithoughts does where it interrogates dropbox, shows the sync status of each diagram and indicates the current version (also allows you to choose which one is current and sync it).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:56:15 pm by Ghosty » Logged
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:45 pm »

I have not yet developed a model for synchronization of different versions of charts. Maybe I'll start with iCloud (now that it is integrated into the system), and then consider possible ways to synchronize between different users.
In any case, I need to think out a model for multi-user work with diagrams, and this is a challenge for any application.
ruben

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

Hello! I'm a newcomer to inShort, I'm already amazed by how powerful and intuitive it is. I left you a review in iTunes, and it won't be my last Smiley

Regarding Dropbox/iCloud support, I suggest that you tackle cloud storage and multiuser collaboration as two different problems. For many of us, cloud storage (in iCloud, Dropbox, Google docs or Box.net) would be very useful even in single-user mode, so we could for example drop an OPML diagram in a specific GDocs folder in our desktop and then go to a meeting with our iPad and edit it instantly.

To achieve that, a simple approach using version tagging and lock files would be enough. Of course, without ISH desktop editors, until more formats are added (eg Project, Visio), we would be limited to editing XML. But even that could be useful to "flesh out" an existing diagram, adding more text detail, or tweaking dates, for example.

Now, multiuser collaboration is a more complex problem which requires a careful approach. Take your time to design it right, because it would make this app a classic. Collaboration can benefit a lot from shared cloud storage, so that's great, but they aren't necessarily linked Smiley
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:23:52 pm »

Welcome and thank you for your review on iTunes, it came very opportunely.

I largely agree with your reasoning.

Synchronization of different versions of the same chart looks like a very delicate and difficult task, I'm still working through the main approaches to its solution. On the other hand, integration with iCloud will become more demanded in the presence of the desktop version of the application, which I plan to release after achieving a certain degree of functional maturity of the application.

Meanwhile, providing collaboration is a task of another level, and its complete solution in the framework of a purely mobile platform is hardly possible. However, I hope to introduce some elements of providing the joint execution of diagrams without considerable complication of the application.
ruben

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:02:46 pm »

Thanks for your answer. I don't really think we need syncing of different versions, just the latest. Consider the following use case: I use my iPad to do the bulk of the design and planning, but my iPad is not always with me, and my phone is. I would love being able to use my iPhone during field testing, for example, to update the progress on some process, or the availability of a resource.

The key to avoid complex syncing issue is to enforce serial updating of the diagram. I'm either using my iPhone, or my iPad, or my desktop (when it comes out), but not more than one at a time. There are a number of ways to guarantee this, I can draft a consistency algorithm if you wish to consider it at some point Smiley

Regarding collaboration I fully agree with you. Perhaps, at some point, you can create a light client app, so other users can report progress on tasks or resources they have assigned. It's not a priority, just an idea for when other more pressing topics have been addressed. I have some ideas on how that could be done, I'll suggest them in a new thread, if it hasn't been done yet, to keep this one on topic Smiley
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:29 am »

If possible, please provide here all your ideas, I'm sure to take them into account when I think through the improvement of the application. Perhaps, someone else would want to contribute his opinion as well.

Besides, I'm interested in a synchronization algorithm that is "transparent" to a user and avoids versioning in the case of working offline from time to time.
AG

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:14:37 pm »

Just want to express that I am desperately waiting for integration with drop box; otherwise I have to send between iPhone and iPad file forward and backward. Collaboration within a browser would be great.It could be also in a textual form as a first step.
Oldilocks

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:25:33 pm »

As you develop your cloud functionality please don't limit it to iCloud.  I, and I suspect many inShort users, already have a preferred cloud service.  For me, it is DropBox.  Being able to select a folder for all my file I/O activity would meet my multiple device sharing needs.

I can understand why team support may need to be more restrictive but, for now, incremental enhancements in this area would be very valuable.

Thanks for a great app!
kerryh

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »

I have just started using this app. It wasn't easy to find on iTunes - the "project management" search did not bring it up. In consequence I wasted money on some apps that turned out not to be really what I was looking for. Even when I found inshort - which seems to be ideal for my applications - I almost passed over it because scanning through the description I did not see Dropbox or iCloud integration. For me, this is a big gap. It takes me back a year or two when the only way to back up data was by email or iTunes. Please get Dropbox or iCloud! The app would be more convenient for existing users and you would be more likely to attract new users.
Pavel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »

Today I bought inshort.
There is no way to sync between iPad and iPhone?
 OMG! Why?
Look, it's great professional app and it MUST be stable and user MUST have a way to open it (iPhone and online) even if iPad is out of power!
It's like a car without one wheel!
Please, do it, as fast as u can...

Tnx for this app, you gave a hope that iPad is not a toy.
Good luck!
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »

At the current time the creation of a subsystem for collaboration working is the main priority of the application development. Integration with cloud services will be a part of this subsystem.
JHerridge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 01:37:44 pm »

I am very interested in seeing a combined Upload to Dropbox as a PDF document to make it easier to distribute to project teams.  Email is not the preferred means for team collaboration.  Thanks!
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:18 pm »

I'll take your suggestion into account when improving the program. Thank you.
Usul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:52 pm »

shortki, collaboration is key, team sharing and collaboration within the same project would vastly improve this tool.  Do you think that there might be a release with this included this year?  I'm looking to roll this out to my team asap.  Great product, so far.
geosocial

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 03:13:44 am »

Please also support open cloud storage (WebDAV, e.g with open-source OwnCloud).   Thanks for a great app!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: