Shortki Community
November 18, 2017, 10:10:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I create a Decison box that allows EITHER path to progress?  (Read 2528 times)
IDN101

View Profile Email
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »

Hi there,

I hope at can explain my question clearly.

I am trying to produce a diagram with a fork in the road- that then joins back up to a SINGLE path- which (when executed) allows the User to choose ONE of the paths in order to progress along the rest of the diagram.

I know this is possible because a scenario like this occurs in the User Guide diagrams. I just can't seem to recreate it myself- must be something REALLY simple I am doing wrong.

So for example.

Start > Process A > Process B > Decison (5 choices) - (splits into 5 different paths, all with various processes) > all 5 paths join back up at a common process > Process C > End

When executing the above, the User can select just ONE of the 5 choices and progress along the respective path, and eventually onto the END- without needing to complete the remaining processes on the 4 other paths he did not choose.

I really need to crack this- many of my work processes contain sub-processes where I either do Sub-Process A "OR" Sub-Process B- and then continue with the remainder of the "Master Process"

Hope the above makes sense?

Many thanks,
Ian
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:37:24 pm »

Combining fork objects, alternate ports and percentage of completion of a diagram, you can implement almost any logic of process. In the object card, select incoming connections and specify an arbitrary port of activation (marked by a geometric symbol) for one of them, now the object is to be activated by one of the ports in accordance with OR logic. If you divided the flow with a fork object before, then now you will be able to "collect" the flows together, thus implementing the logic of execution of only one "shoulder".

The Guide provides an example of this in the diagram on the following link: inShort://local/ID:2.7/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:45:31 pm by shortki » Logged
IDN101

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:13 pm »

Many thanks- yes, I think I have now sorted it.

As you say- the key is to select DIFFERENT ports for the re-converging paths- the port identifier doesn't have to be consistent along each branch, AS LONG as they are each different just before the re-convene.

Many thanks

Regards,
Ian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: