Shortki Community
September 26, 2017, 07:28:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Export diagram to HTML  (Read 3308 times)
mduran

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:28:32 pm »

Hi,

Would it be possible to consider the possibility to export diagrams as a html document and mail them as zipped attachments ?

thanks and congratulations for such a brilliant app.

Miguel
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:43:54 pm »

Hi, Miguel.

I cannot at once understand the advantages of zipped HTML with images over PDF (which is less in size and scalable in the end). Your first message made me think that you were speaking about HTML5, so I tried to assess the work content of the question to give a reasoned response. But html+png+zip is, in my view, a step backwards compared to pdf.

P.S. I cannot imagine what happened with your previous message, the existing logs did not give a clue.
mduran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:19:58 pm »

Mmmja, it depens howmyiu look at it. Pdf is compact and scalable but in the end it remains a format which is closed and externalmtoa browser as you depend on a reader add on. Html is native to a browser. Html5? Actually i had not think of it butnthat would be great.

Thanks,
miguel
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:34 am »

Hi Fellas,

Given that I believe the inShort development role is quite short on time, my vote in terms of product road map would be:
- iOS inShort Data Capture with HTML table export
- PDF with Forms for Data Capture
- New App: iOS Execution Only + Data Capture
- New App: Android Execution Only + Data Capture

There are 3 key benefits we find in our (small) organisation with PDF publishing of business processes:
- it's already available as part of inShort, today
- as of today iOS, Win Mobile and Android mobile platforms -- each benefit from low cost PDF readers that have evolved to play well with services like Google Apps and Dropbox -- that also support annotations

Therefore PDF adds up to an awesome paperless platform to manage feedback and communicating process improvements to our system architects. So, I'd see html or image-based export as less useful than the benefits available through sound document control that you probably already do with business process documents.

Having said that, I do agree that PDF distribution and platform support would become costly when scaled up... so I'm interested in your feedback around cost-benefit.

If html export is a short job though, which it may be -- (I see Craig has added png + html export to iThoughts recently) -- and you have higher value that PDF, such as 500 users for example(?) perhaps it can be slotted-in as a break from bigger tasks.

What do you think?

Warm Regards,
Colin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:24:07 am by Colin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: