Shortki Community
September 22, 2017, 03:28:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: inShort 1.2.1 for Mac OS. Locations..

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: inShort 2.2.2 discovered bugs of the version  (Read 9391 times)
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:22:46 pm »

Version 2.2.2 is released
Report here about errors of this version.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:08:42 pm by shortki » Logged
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:36:27 am »

I'm experiencing a crash (and have just lost a bit of design work -- maybe 10 minutes?) every time I try to clear the "expected time" parameter by swiping the value in the item's card and tapping [delete].

UPDATE: this happens when the item's card is NOT in Edit Mode.

Occurs on drawings I've created including the user guide.

Also wondering if you think it would be practical to have the app save more regularly if changes have been made, such as every 30 or 60 seconds?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:45:28 am by Colin » Logged
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:34 pm »

I apologize for the trouble and especially for the lost time. I assure you that the purpose of the program is just the opposite.

Indeed, removing some object parameters, while in the card view, results in a crash, thanks for finding it. Although the program has been tested for a long time, this kind of deletion has not been checked. I'll add such tests to the test sequences, and future updates, of course, will contain a fix.

With the second failure you managed to confirm that rare events usually accompany each other. In this case the situation is different: the device did not have enough memory. By sequentially expanding a diagram you can always achieve a situation when memory is not enough to display a chart of such size. The threshold size of diagram is highly dependent on the device, for example, for my iPad it is 3.4 megapixels, and for iPhone 4 - 2.3 MPx (4.6 physical ones). Therefore, the safe size of chart cannot be limited in advance.

Data is saved every time you go to another level of the chart or to another chart, or enter the lists view. I deemed this state of affairs acceptable. However, it seems that you prefer to work with very large charts, and in this case the AutoSave function would indeed be useful. I'll think about implementing it.

As an explanation of why I considered the situation permissible, I would like to bring the following argument. While studying literature, I noted two facts:
1. A graphic chart intended for fast study should contain not more than 7 semantic elements and not more than 11 linkages between them.
2. A chart intended for lengthy study should contain not more than 20 semantic elements and not more than 27 linkages between them, and also, if possible, should be zoned by 3 logical areas. If these recommendations are followed, the diagrams are read by a man as whole information.  

The program is designed to follow these guidelines - by using subdiagrams a process of any complexity can be broken down into charts containing either up to 7 or up to 20 elements, depending on the purpose. A diagram containing 20 objects is, on average, normally placed on a sheet measuring 1.7 megapixels, which is enough for most devices.

P.S. Sorry for the delay, I replied as soon as I could.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:46:18 pm by Argalio » Logged
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:54 am »

Thanks for the explanation. I do see that the working style I've chosen to employ for my first experience with inShort is unusual.

Unfortunately I chose to lay out and explore a brand new organisational architecture design with the intention of brainstorming and freely expanding the inShort canvas, then splitting the objects across smaller diagrams in the next phase of design.

Also, given that shapes can't overlap at all, I found I was expanding swim lanes to create extra whitespace while shifting items around in the process of reorganizing the diagram.

I'll return to using paper and iThoughtsHD to organise my designs first, then take another look at inShort at a later planning phase.

UPDATE: after changing my workflow to include regular switching to list view (use the 2nd button from the left to enter list/gantt chart view) i.e. saving changes -- I've found the app quite good for design work. I'd still recommend keeping brand new design notes somewhere, as there's no undo feature as far as I know in the current version, so you could still lose something. Overall the app is quite intricate and a few bugs appear to be present. I've found support quite responsive at the moment -- now that I think about it -- The App store entry for inShort promises a lot -- it may require patience to help articulate and get bugs sorted out, but this is the nature of new software I suppose. Hang in there folks...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:08:18 am by Colin » Logged
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:18:40 am »

I discovered a confusing step in the user guide:
  • the "Editing a diagram" page is Read Only and the user guide is missing a step to indicate how to disable the read only setting before the 5 editing tool buttons are shown.
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 04:15:20 am »

I've noticed the following behaviour:

Drag a new decision-making step from the object panel onto the diagram
Open the new item's Card
Type a Name and Description
Tap "Number of options" (without pressing save)
Tap [Save] on the Options card
Issue: The Name and Description values are lost
Pino

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:39 pm »

I have installed the version 222 in mt Ipad twice and it crashes during the start of the program. I have not been able to use it.   Angry
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:14:10 pm »

I have installed the version 222 in mt Ipad twice and it crashes during the start of the program. I have not been able to use it.   Angry
Please try rebooting the device, this must help.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:27:08 pm by Argalio » Logged
Pino

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:06 pm »

The reboot does not fix the problem.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:54:21 pm »

I discovered a confusing step in the user guide:
  • the "Editing a diagram" page is Read Only and the user guide is missing a step to indicate how to disable the read only setting before the 5 editing tool buttons are shown.

Initially, this diagram was opened for editing, but there were cases when blundering actions of users spoiled it before mastering, so I moved the test chart (which is opened for editing) in the subdiagram of one of the elements. If in your fresh opinion it seems confusing, it is likely that I restore all the old, as only a few "spoil" the chart, but then most people is perplexed.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 10:55:10 pm »

Open the new item's Card

I haven't managed to repeat exactly the same mistake, but I suspect it's all the same problems with free memory. Could you restart the device — sometimes the operating system "loses" memory blocks, and only restarting allows them to return into the normal cycle of use. This must help.
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 03:02:27 am »

Initially, this diagram was opened for editing, but there were cases when blundering actions of users spoiled it before mastering, so I moved the test chart (which is opened for editing) in the subdiagram of one of the elements. If in your fresh opinion it seems confusing, it is likely that I restore all the old, as only a few "spoil" the chart, but then most people is perplexed.

[/quote]

I agree leaving as much as possible Read Only is a good idea.

Perhaps simply mentioning in a process on the "Editing a diagram" page something like "This page is currently in Read Only mode, as indicated by the padlock icon in the title bar. In Read Only mode, the 5 tool bar buttons are hidden. To control the Read Only setting tap the page name in the title bar at the top of the page."

And perhaps also mentioning in the "Edit panel" Information document At the top right there are 5 tools of editing diagrams (not shown on this page due to the Read Only setting). To learn how to use the edit tools, drill-down into the diagram in the next step.

What do you reckon?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:11:02 am by Colin » Logged
Colin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 03:12:09 am »

Open the new item's Card

I haven't managed to repeat exactly the same mistake, but I suspect it's all the same problems with free memory. Could you restart the device — sometimes the operating system "loses" memory blocks, and only restarting allows them to return into the normal cycle of use. This must help.

UPDATE: I found this issue occurs in LANDSCAPE mode only.
When I tap "Number of options" I can see a "different" Card fly-in from the bottom right corner of the screen...

I have confirmed this happens reliably on 2 different iPads units after reboot.

Does that extra info help?

Would you like me to send a video of the behaviour so you may be able to identify what is happening with the fly-in animation of the 2nd Card?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:12:45 am by Colin » Logged
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 12:35:18 pm »

UPDATE: I found this issue occurs in LANDSCAPE mode only.
When I tap "Number of options" I can see a "different" Card fly-in from the bottom right corner of the screen...

Everything's right, I just did not guess to turn the screen Smiley

A new form is opened because sometimes the keypad covers up too much space in the pop-up view, besides, it cannot be accidentally closed by tapping the screen. This mistake is easy to fix, thanks for the tip.
shortki
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:31:16 pm »

I agree leaving as much as possible Read Only is a good idea.

Perhaps simply mentioning in a process on the "Editing a diagram" page something like "This page is currently in Read Only mode, as indicated by the padlock icon in the title bar. In Read Only mode, the 5 tool bar buttons are hidden. To control the Read Only setting tap the page name in the title bar at the top of the page."

And perhaps also mentioning in the "Edit panel" Information document At the top right there are 5 tools of editing diagrams (not shown on this page due to the Read Only setting). To learn how to use the edit tools, drill-down into the diagram in the next step.

What do you reckon?

I'm more inclined to open this chart for editing, as this will cause less questions among beginners, but I will write a warning that if the Guide was "spoiled" in the process of learning, it can be restored in the program settings.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: